Sep 11, 2012

[K-Drama Review] Love Rain


"I love rain, I love you."

Sweet!

I love Rain, the Korean Superstar but he is not what I'll talk about on this post. I'm blogging about Love Rain, the Korean Drama.  This post is made up of two parts. The first part is my initial reaction and the second part is my final thought. There are dates to separate the two.


APRIL 8, 2012:

I just have to let this out of my system right now and be done with it...

"LOVE RAIN IS BORING!!!"




Don't get me wrong, I have high expectation for Love Rain before it even begun because of the PD and JANG GEUN SUK. Admitedly, I didn't liked that Yoona was selected as the leading lady for the sole reason that  I want someone with more acting experience. You can not just put a newbie in a melodrama because it'll require a range of emotion that only a veteran can do. But what's done is done and I accepted that. The fact that I watched it up to episode 3 is proof enough that I gave Love Rain a chance.

After 3 episodes I'm out. I just can't take it anymore. I was yawning half the time watching the drama. Though it was not the actors fault but the genre and a character.

The era of melodrama with the calibre of Winter-Sonata-Spring-Waltz-Summer-Scent-Autumn-In-My-Heart is long gone. Time had change and people had move on. The PD should have to accept that. The character I'm talking about is Jang Geun Suk's In Ha. I can't tolerate noble idiocy with epic proportion in a drama. It gives me headache. It freakin' doesn't make sense to me to give up the girl for his friend. Rawr! Granted, this'll turn full circle at one point but right this moment they've already severed the chain that's keeping me anchored to this drama. Hmp.



On the bright side, the drama is very pretty to look at. Very pretty in fact, not only the cast but the scenery.


JULY 2012:

After all my rants, I ended up watching Love Rain up to the last episode. and I'd say this:
"Don't judge a Korean Drama by it's first and last four episodes."
It's typical to get bored with the first four episodes because it's set in the 70s where girls are more reserved and guys are totally clueless and I'm just a mere mortal who doesn't like that crap. But I braved through the first four episodes and well.. I got tons of surprises on the other side of the love spectrum. I actually enjoyed it a lot and it helped cure my Kdrama withdrawal at that time. So cheers for Love Rain for making me smile with Jang Geun Suk's and Yoona's beyond-the-chart chemistry. It's endearing.


I'll recommend Love Rain because the plot is actually solid. Between the love-that-was-never-meant-to-be theme for the 70s couple and the why-the-hell-do-they-have-to-suffer-because-of-what-happened-in-the-past theme for the 2012 couple, it's interesting how they'll play with that scenario. The conflict was played nicely, the story telling was fast-paced and the angst was kept to the minimum. It was a fun ride... not until the last four episodes anyway where common sense was thrown away in the pit of doom.

If I'm the producer I would have excluded the first four and last four episodes and gave the viewers an awesome drama. But I'm just a fan so I'll take what I can get.

... and this is the drama where I first saw my latest KDramaland crush and latest KPOP oppa,

SEO IN GUK!!!



3 comments:

  1. I say read a summary of the first five episodes and then start watching the sixth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice!^_^ I think I'm going to do that in the next drama that I want to watch in this genre. :D

      Delete
  2. I loved the first four episodes, it's what got me hooked in the first place. The ambiance is so nice. And the story is so romantic. It was far from boring to me. But I guess that's your opinion.

    ReplyDelete